- The role of champion is available to anyone who is a member of Girl Scouts, is in good standing and has completed a background check.
- Champions are identified by their local service unit manager and council recruiter.
- They can also be adult members who are in sharing their passion for Girl Scouts with their community.
- Champions are chosen because they work well with others, are familiar with their community (or are willing to learn) and are excited about meeting people and making new connections.
- We request champions agree to at least a one-year term so that there is time to become comfortable with your position and build valuable relationships.
- You can expect to spend 3-5 hours per month in your role as champion during our peak membership season (August through October) and only 0-3 hours during the other months.
Girl Scouts system-wide refresh begins November 18 at 11:59 PM EST – LEARN HOW YOU CAN PREPARE!
COVID-19: Read our current guidelines »
Ways to Volunteer
Whether you can give a few hours, a few weeks, or a few months, volunteering with Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana is flexible and fun!
Below you'll find the many volunteer opportunities we offer.
There are many roles that can fit with your lifestyle including:
- Troop Leader or Assistant Leader - Work with a group of girls and mentor them as they make new friends and develop connections that will last a lifetime.
*Exclusive Offer! Right now, any new adult that becomes a new troop leader between now and December 15 with receive a FREE Zoom license and sponsored Girl Scout membership!
- Troop Family and Friends - Assist with driving, activity planning, snacks, money management, or other tasks necessary to keep the troop running smoothly.
- Troop Cookie Volunteers - Coordinate the annual cookie sale at the troop level incluing cookie booth set-up, inventory and money management.
- Service Unit Volunteers - Mentor adult volunteers as they work with Girl Scouts to create memories they will never forget!
Have questions first? Contact us and someone will be in touch.
Girl Scouts also need volunteers at events, programs, and camps.
Share your time, talents and skills with girls and adults one-time, for a short term, or by joining a committee.
If you don't see an opportunity that fits your desires, call Julie Gilmartin at 630-544-5973 to discuss what your group would like to accomplish.
Become a Girl Scout Champion
Introduce Girl Scouts to girls in your community
Girl Scout Champions play a vital role in helping to spread the word about how awesome it is to be a Girl Scout! Champions introduce Girl Scouts to new girls and adults within their own communities, whether it's hosting local events, sending information to schools, or simply bringing flyers and brochures to libraries.
Girl Scout Champions have the power to educate their community about how both girls and adults can join Girl Scouts in the Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana areas!
Who Can Become a Champion
We need inspiring volunteers (like you!) to spread the word about
joining Girl Scouts to girls and families, and to help place new
members in troops.