Summer Day Camp 2021 Update: Extended Day, Overnight Program Change (4/1/2021)
This year is a year of adapting to changes, with a goal of providing outdoor program to all girls. For summer 2021, GSGCNWI will not offer the overnight option at council-led day camps: Camp Greene Wood, Camp Palos, and Vernon Hills Day Camp. We will run an extended evening program for our Juniors-Ambassadors at these three day camp locations as an alternative option.
During the initial launch of day camp programs, we adjusted sleeping capacities based on guidance and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), American Camp Association (ACA), and Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) around COVID-19. Based off interest from girls and families and reviewing our day camp programs, we realized there were many girls who we would be unable to serve with overnight capacities in place. We believe that it is important to engage as many girls as we can in the outdoors, especially in a year where in-person engagement is more important than ever. By adjusting from an overnight program to an extended day program, we are able to serve our mission of engaging girls in the outdoors to build their courage, confidence, and character.
While girls will not have the option to sleep at camp, we will provide an extended day program so that our older girls still have experiences where they cook their dinner over a fire, join unique evening activities, and spend additional time at camp.
We thank you for your understanding as we aim to make our day camp program as successful and available as possible in this ever-changing time. We look forward to seeing you out at camp this summer! If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Extended Day Program Details
- Juniors, Cadettes, Seniors, and Ambassadors will be able to participate in an extended evening program until 8 p.m. This program will consist of activities that we traditionally include in our overnight program, such as special games, dinner cook-out, campfire songs, and evening exploration.
- The extended day program is optional and girls in this age group may choose to opt out. If your camper is opting out of the extended day, we ask that families email the Camp Director or send a note at the beginning of the program week.
- Bus transportation will still be available for girls registered for this option. Evening bus route information will be shared with the transportation email you receive two weeks before the start of the camp session. Evening bus schedules may be adjusted during the week depending on number of girls choosing to stay for the extended day. Any adjustments or changes that need to be made during the week will be emailed to you no later than Wednesday.
- Families that have registered for bus transportation may choose to pick up their camper from camp by car Thursday evening instead of taking evening bus transportation. If your camper is changing transportation options for the Thursday extended day, we ask that families email the Camp Director or send a note at the beginning of the program week.
- If your camper chooses to cancel their registration for camp following this announcement, please contact email@example.com. We will issue a refund minus the $25 deposit, which will be placed on your account for use towards future program registrations.
- If your camper is interested in an overnight camp experience, we encourage you to look at our resident camp programs, including our 3-day 2-night Sampler programs.
- Updated day camp information packets can be found on our website here.