At Girl Scouts, our mission is to build girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. We are the premier leadership organization for girls and an expert on their growth and development. At three million strong, we are the largest girl-serving organization in the United States. We serve girls in every zip code, and Girl Scouting takes shape in a variety of flexible ways, called Girl Scout Pathways. These options give girls the opportunity to build an experience as unique as they are.
The heart of Girl Scouting is the partnership created when adults facilitate activities to help girls learn how to voice their opinions, plan their own activities, make decisions, and take action. Volunteers make a difference in a girl's life. Time commitments are personal, and range from providing leadership for a troop/group of girls or allocating a few hours a month to facilitate activities or projects.
- Girls actively engage in activities related to science, technology, engineering, and math.
- We empower girls with financial literacy tools. Millions of girls now learn their economic ABCs through the Girl Scout Cookie Program: goal setting, decision making, money management, people skills, and business ethics.
- No university has produced as many female business owners as has the Girl Scout Cookie Program.
- Girl Scouts focuses on healthy living, with programs reflecting that physical health, emotional health and self-esteem are all connected.
- Environmental leadership is a high priority in Girl Scouting. In 2009, more than 83,000 girls nationwide worked directly with conservationists and scientists to complete environmental service projects in 43 states.
The Girl Scout Promise
On my honor, I will try:
To serve God and my country,
To help people at all times,
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.
The Girl Scout Law
I will do my best to be
honest and fair,
friendly and helpful,
considerate and caring,
courageous and strong, and
responsible for what I say and do,
respect myself and others,
use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and
be a sister to every Girl Scout.