Girl Scouts Unveil ‘Journey World'
Located at Halsted and Chicago Avenue in Chicago, Journey World is a unique, experiential programming space designed to inspire the next generation of civic and community leaders.
Also, choose from the following to learn more about Journey World:
Note: For new fall programs, please check out the Program Essentials Resource Guide.
View Journey World on YouTube!
Journey World's dynamic curriculum is designed to appeal to both the 86,000 Girl Scouts who live in the greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana region, as well as to K-12th grade students across the area. This center for leadership and innovation challenges young people to think creatively about commerce, entrepreneurship, science, math, and the environment, then take action to make the world a better place.
The sensory-stimulating center is uniquely designed as two separate floors that spotlight interrelated learning opportunities. On the It's Your Planet - Love It! floor, a 10,000-square foot "Eco-Lab" transforms students into young scientists. They use state-of-the-art technologies and equipment in a realistic mini-city and cave, forest, prairie and lake ecosystems.
On the It's Your Future- Dream It! floor, a "mini-city" invites students to simulate real job responsibilities in offices that have been visually customized to resemble known institutions and businesses. The programs culminate with a full-day simulation at Journey World where students apply important concepts and skills as they take on real-life business, government, and science careers.
"Journey World is indicative of what the Girl Scouts have been doing since our inception – inspiring girls on a life-long journey toward leadership," said Maria Wynne, CEO Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana. "Findings from the National Girl Scout Research Institute study, Change It Up! What Girls Say About Redefining Leadership, revealed that girls feel that places for them to develop their leadership skills are scarce. Students who actively participate in the curriculum will be transformed by new ideas about leadership and how person has the potential to make a significant impact on our world."
Kierra, 14, of Dolton, IL, says the experience will prepare both her and her peers for what lies ahead by giving them a place to practice the skills they need to take on leadership roles in their communities. "It's so cool that you can use your imagination in Journey World to explore different careers. It gives people the opportunity to try something different and imagine the impact each of us can have."
Organizations and groups of students will have the choice of visiting during the week or on the weekends, depending on the workshops (or even overnights) of interest. Examples of workshops include:
- Onwards and Upwards, where young scientists focus on forming scientific teams while they create eco-friendly habitats for animals using solar and wind technologies. After studying ecosystems between the earth and sky, they present their findings in a scientist summit.
- Dive In, Breathe Out, where students discover the importance of the water cycle and investigate how the quality of air affects the quality of water. By working in research teams, they build their own water purification system to help resolve pollution. In a scientist summit, the research teams present their approach to the resolution and their plan to put this into action.
- Money Management trains the financial wizards of tomorrow. Participants learn the importance of personal financial management. During this workshop, the simulated city opens for business, requiring these young citizens to take out loans, set up checking accounts, and learn about good spending and saving habits.
- Lights, Camera, Action! provides the opportunity to explore all aspects of the limelight. Participants write and conduct interviews and film, produce, and direct their own morning news program. After the workshop, the completed clips are edited and presented as a final show to the group.
To inquire about scheduling an outing or event at Journey World, please call the Journey World hotline at 312-835-8191.
If you're planning to visit us, remember the following:
- The Journey World building is located on the southwest corner of Chicago and Halsted.
- The entrance to Journey World is on Chicago Avenue, between the entrance to Love's Cafe and Baker Furniture.
- The entrance is marked by an awning that says "770".
- The parking lot is located on Chicago, across from the entrance of Journey World.
- The parking lot is marked by a sign that says "City Church Chicago".
Due to potential spamming, e-mail addresses are not listed above. All employees can be reached using their first initial and last name @girlscoutsgcnwi.org. Thank you for your understanding.